What is the Tools of the Trade Scholarship Program?
Ascendium knows apprenticeships in high-growth industries offer a great path to jobs that pay family-sustaining wages and offer strong lifetime career growth. We also know apprenticeships can be expensive, especially as the price of goods continues to rise.
We don’t want the cost of tools, clothing, and other equipment required for an apprenticeship to keep learners from reaching their goals. It's why, for the past 11 years, we’ve offered scholarships to eligible construction and industrial trade apprentices through our Tools of the Trade Scholarship Program.
Am I eligible to apply for a Tools of the Trade scholarship?
You are eligible to apply if:
- You are enrolled in and receiving credit from one of the 16 Wisconsin Technical College System colleges for the Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters. Apprentices who graduate or complete their program in the Fall 2023 semester are not eligible.
- Your combined household income is less than or equal to three times the federal poverty level (please see the table within the application for more information).
- You complete an application online by Oct. 31, 2023
- You are enrolled in one of the eligible construction or industrial trades included in the following list.
- Concrete Finishing
- Drywall Finisher
- Electrical & Instrumentation
- Environmental Service Technician
- Facilities Maintenance Technician
- Industrial Electrician
- Industrial Manufacturing Technician
- Industrial Metrology Technician
- Industrial Shipbuilder Welder
- Injection Mold Set-Up (Plastic)
- Lubrication Technician
- Machine Repair
- Machinist/Tool & Die/Moldmaker/Toolmaker
- Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright
- Maintenance Technician
- Mechatronics Technician
- Metal Fabricator/Welder
- Operating Engineer/Heavy Equipment Operator
- Painting & Decorating
- Pipe Fabricator
- Press Set-Up Operator
- Residential Wirer
- Resilient Floor
- Roadway Maintenance Technician
- Sheetmetal – Industrial or Construction
- Sprinkler Fitting
- Steamfitting – Construction or Service
- Telecommunications VDV Installer Technician
Tools of the Trade Phases
Sept. 1, 2023
Application Period Opens
Oct. 31, 2023
Application Period Closes
Nov. 2023 – Feb. 2024
Review and Selection
March 2024 – April 2024
Scholarship Payment Period
We’ll send all communication regarding your application to the email address you provide. Once your college confirms your Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 enrollment, we will notify apprentices who are awarded scholarships and mail checks to the address you provide in the application.